FYE Program Facilitator Job Description
Position: Program Facilitator
Length: 2020-21 School Year
Hours: 5-10 hours/week
For questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
** All interested parties should submit the application by Sunday, May 3rd at 11:59pm.
The First Year Experience (FYE) Program Facilitator team is primarily involved in the planning and execution of first-year student programming focused on supporting first-year students in their transition to U-M. Program Facilitators create a welcoming and supportive environment as well as provide resources.
Program Facilitators facilitate and execute programs in the residential spaces to support first-year students in their transition to U-M. Facilitating can range from tabling at fairs to co-facilitating hour-long programs on a variety of topics such as wellness, professional/career development, time management, financial savvy, housing options, and more. Facilitators also provide feedback on program content and work to develop strong facilitation skills. For this position, we are looking for students with facilitation experience who enjoy public speaking and bringing energy to groups, possess strong engagement skills, and have a desire to build community with first-year students.
All FYE Program Facilitators are required to attend weekly staff meetings on Fridays from 2-3:30pm throughout the Fall and Winter semesters. Facilitators will also meet individually with the Program Manager for First Year Experience for supervision on a bi-weekly basis.
First Year Experience Program Facilitation and Support (80% of the position)
- Weekly, co-facilitate up to 2-3 programs that include topics such as wellness, financial savvy, time management, extracurricular involvement, second-year housing, and more.
- Represent FYE during on-campus tabling events that engage with first-year students (e.g. Welcome Week events & activities, Festifall, Winterfest, Wellness Fairs, etc.).
- Provide feedback to develop content for programming for first-year students focused on topics pertaining to transitioning to U-M.
- Potentially create and administer new programming to support first-year students.
- Collaborate with other student staff throughout Housing to coordinate and implement programs.
- Administer assessments at the end of every program.
Administrative Tasks (20% of the position)
- Attend weekly staff meetings on Fridays from 2-3:30pm.
- Attend bi-weekly supervision meetings with the Program Manager.
- Assist with and be responsible for the transportation of program materials (flyers, handouts, presentations, etc.) to and from program sites from the FYE Offices in South Quad.
- Submit a Post Event Form after every program facilitated to describe the co-facilitation experience and provide feedback for the programs.
- Stay up-to-date on campus resources and events.
- Other duties as assigned by the FYE Program Manager & Graduate Coordinator.
- Enrolled as a full-time student, sophomore standing or above (enrolled the previous 2 semesters), in Fall 2020-Winter 2021.
- Must be in good academic and disciplinary standing, cumulative 2.5 GPA.
- Holds previous facilitation & programming skills, including experience in facilitating groups of various sizes.
- Can articulate issues regarding the transition to college and desires to provide resources and information to support first-year students.
- Takes initiative and seeks to solve communication issues
- Possesses strong organizational skills while managing multiple responsibilities.
- Displays strong leadership & interpersonal skills, creativity, a positive attitude and be self-motivated.
- Demonstrates a positive and enthusiastic regard for U-M and campus life, academic, and extracurricular activities.
- Availability during the day, evenings, and some weekends.
All FYE Program Facilitators participate in mandatory training on topics such as public speaking, group facilitation, program implementation, conflict management, teamwork development, communication skills, U-M resources, and a variety of other leadership areas.
Dates: August 27-28, 2020, 9 am – 4:30 pm
This position is approximately a 5 – 10 hours a week commitment and will fluctuate slightly depending on the programs being offered each week. This position is for both Fall and Winter semesters.