The Department of Comparative Literature is pleased to invite graduating seniors in all departments at the University of Michigan to submit entries for our annual prize in literary translation.
Submissions are due Tuesday, April 21, and will be judged by a team of faculty members in Comparative Literature.
A prize of $500 will be awarded at the end of winter term.
RULES FOR SUBMISSIONS
1. All seniors graduating in Fall 2019 or Winter 2020, and affiliated with any department at the University of Michigan, are eligible to submit a translation.
2. Students may choose to translate into English any literary text (or excerpt of a literary text) that was originally written in another language and in any literary genre (e.g. fiction, poetry, drama, creative nonfiction).
3. A submission should consist of your translation (no more than 10 pages), and a brief translator’s preface (no more than 5 pages) that introduces the text and author you have chosen and explains your method of translation. If you have worked significantly with previously available translations, glosses, or commentaries, please note these in your translator’s preface. Make sure your submission references all texts and tools you have used to produce your translation (i.e. other translations you have consulted, translation software you may have used, etc).
4. Please submit your translation in the following format: an email listing your name, your graduation date, your major(s) and minor(s), and the complete title, author, and language of the original text you have translated, and an email attachment without your name that includes your translator’s preface, your translation, and a copy of the text you have translated in its original language.
5. Your submission should be emailed to email@example.com no later than 11:59 PM on Tuesday, April 21, 2020.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.